Importance of Life skills and value education
Life skills education is the process of cultivating life skills through education to develop a better human-being. Early identification of problems and early intervention and support at key moments in the lives of young people is vital. The life skills education deals mainly with the development needs and aspirations of the individuals. They also deal with the development of psychosocial abilities and to enhance the capabilities and enlarge choices. Nowadays, many of the schools in remote villages have also taken an initiative to cultivate value education and life skills along with the regular academic syllabus.
Important life skills:
There are a few important life skills that are mandatory in life skills education. They are
- Problem-solving skills
- Decision-making skills
- Critical thinking skills
- Creative thinking
- Communication skills
- Stress management
- Social skills
- Interpersonal skills
Benefits of Life skill education in one’s life
Life skills education will help greatly by the following means:
- Coping with emotion
- Coping with stress
- Develop interpersonal relationships
- Healthy friendship formation
- Peer resistance
- Non-violent conflict resolution
- Effective communication
Objectives of Life skills education
The major objectives of life skills education are as follows:
- It helps you greatly in making positive health choices.
- It helps to practice healthy behaviors.
- It helps in recognizing and avoiding risky health situations and behaviors.
The process of giving more values to each other is called value education. The purpose of value education is to understand the living standards and dignity and behavior while living within society. The value education concentrates on human values, social values, cultural values, religious values, ethical values, global and spiritual values. There are two main classifications of value education namely,
- Implicit value education
- Explicit value education.
Objectives of value education
- They help in improving the integral growth of human beings.
- They help to understand the importance of values and their significant roles.
Why value education is important for students?
- It develops a positive attitude among the students to shape their future and even helps them to know the purpose of their life.
- It teaches them the best way to live that can be beneficial to individuals as well as the people around them.
- Knowing the importance of value education will also help the students to become more responsible and sensible towards their society.
- It helps the students to understand the perspective of life in a better way and lead a successful life as a responsible citizen in the future.
- It also helps students to develop a strong relationship with family and friends.
- It develops the character and personality of the students.
- Value education develops a positive view of life in the student’s mind right from a young age.
Thus, value education and life skills are one of the driving forces for the development of the country. There are many skill development NGO available to improve the skills and knowledge for the betterment of the world. Make use of such NGOs and live your life to the fullest.